Monday, April 23, 2007

Sarah Study

The painting at the end of the live session with the model.



The final image, finished and embellished from memory.


Our return engagement of the pose seen in the prior post "Life Painting 4-15-07" took place yesterday morning--I chose another viewpoint and did a small study on a square canvas panel. I decided to try a quiet, flat decorative approach--this is really a colored drawing more than a rich layered oil painting. I don't know why, but I felt an impulse to make a pleasant design rather than strive for the intense optical observation of Sarah existing alive in space that I chose to pursue in the earlier life painting sessions of the front view of this pose.
I took a snapshot of the painting at the end of the modeling session, then worked on it from memory for another hour or two. I concentrated on the figure, and abstracted the background and chair into pleasant shapes. The result is a decoration image of slightly stylized forms, very light in emotional content.
It's odd how various your moods can be in almost identical situations, and surprising how directly the act of painting will reveal them. I didn't want to struggle with this piece, I wanted to relax and amuse myself--so I made a painting devoid of much psychological resonance. It's just a pretty picture, but there seems to be room in my personality for many levels of expression--in fact my head feels pretty crowded at times!

3 comments:

CHEAPSOCCERUNIFORM said...

Summarizing what we think,a complete and coherent way. Thanks for writing it down so cleary.
Now it will be very cold in winter, in order to keep warm yourself, Moncler company has provide jackets for you, so it is better to own Moncler Jackets yourselif as soon as possible. Eeveryone love fashion clothing, Polo Ralph Lauren is very popular all over world, that is my dream to get Ralph Lauren.We know Ray Ban by America soldier, all of them wear Ray Ban Sunglasses when they walk on the road, it is fashionable for you. Most of people like to wear jeans, it is very modern when wearing True Religion Jeans in the street.

Unknown said...

But I may be one who does not care.yutrew88 Ever to have tree bloom or bear.
Wholesale Cheap Hats

Wholesale New Era Hats

Cheap New Era Hats

New Era Fitted Hats

Cheap Wholesale New Era Hats

Unknown said...

But I may be one who does not care.yutrew88 Ever to have tree bloom or bear.
Wholesale Cheap Hats

Wholesale New Era Hats

Cheap New Era Hats

New Era Fitted Hats

Cheap Wholesale New Era Hats